2018 OSA Legislative & Policy Priorities
Water Quality & Nutrient Management
- The Ohio Soybean Association (OSA) strongly supports implementation of the 4R concept of nutrient management – Right Source, Right Rate, Right Time, Right Place. Properly managed fertilizers supporting cropping systems that provide economic, social, and environmental benefits.
- Supports policies backed by science and research-based discoveries to create practical regulations.
- Supports allowing current policies, regulations, and research the time needed to achieve expected outcomes.
- Ohio Department of Higher Education: OSA supports full funding of the Ohio State University Extension and the Ohio State University Agricultural Research and Development Center, and the Sea Grant and Stone Laboratory at Lake Erie.
- Ohio Department of Natural Resources: OSA supports funding for the Clean Lake Erie Fund and continued funding to be utilized for feasible practices to reduce phosphorus in Lake Erie.
- Ohio Department of Agriculture: OSA supports the funding the Department needs to fulfill their required duties.
- Supports efforts to increase broadband access to rural Ohio in order to help improve quality of life and create strong and competitive farming operations.
Biobased Products & Biodiesel Use
- Supports and encourages the increased purchase and use of biobased products by state agencies.
- Supports the usage of biodiesel by state vehicles and heavy equipment and encourages the Ohio Legislature to explore the impact of a biodiesel requirement or incentives on all fuel sold in Ohio.
- Supports fuel quality standards to protect consumers from unknowingly purchasing substandard fuel to maintain the integrity of the fuel supply, and protect the reputation of biodiesel as a high quality, high performing fuel.
- Supports timely and consistent inspections of bridges in rural areas, and adequate funding for bridge maintenance.
- Supports higher truck weight limit implementation when technology shows that increased limits are appropriate due to modern equipment.
- Supports resources allocated toward the upgrade of inland water systems and harbor management.
Jobs and Economic Development
- Encourages the state of Ohio to develop funding specifically for attracting and promoting food and agricultural companies to Ohio.
- Encourages funding for beginning farmer through special young farmer loans, Farm Credit Associations, and other sources.